An emerging pan African organisation, we provide a partnership platform to communities, donors, the private sector and government to co-create and implement actions that create real and measurable impact at individual, family, society and country levels. In a career at SFH, you will be the centre of making all these happen. You will be joining a team of problem solvers, with real passion to change the world in a fast-paced environment. We are a truly Nigerian rooted organisation with global standards and a diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive, and collaborative – and in providing a work environment that encourages our employees to be their best.
We are recruiting passionate, self-motivated, and highly qualified individuals to fill the underlisted vacant position, in response to organisational expansion:
Job Title: Chief Programme and Quality Officer
Job ID: sfh-57025
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Chief Programme and Quality Officer (CPQO) is a member of the executive management team. At a strategic level and in collaboration with the DMD -Strategy, Technical and Growth (DMD-STG), DMD- Global Operations (DMD-GO) and Chief Finance Officer (CFO), the CPQO will implement SFH’s strategic plan, as well as develop and implement new initiatives that reflect the organization’s mission.
- The CPQO will oversee a significant portfolio of programmes, including evaluating the effectiveness of programmes for ongoing feedback to CoPs and Programme Directors; will support funding diversification including through effective resource stewardship, cross learning and continuous human centred engagement with beneficiaries of all SFH programmes; the post holder will raise the organisational profile through technical leadership, engagement with donors and the mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development to all programme leadership staff.
- The successful candidate will enhance the thought leadership in the organisation across all public health / health security and wellbeing areas by staying abreast of developments in public health and wider development space while consistently promoting public discourse in these areas both outside and within the organisation.
- We envisage this role being 50% external facing and 50% internal.
- The CPQO will oversee a programme portfolio that cuts across supply and demand side interventions in 1) Health System development including health financing; 2) Reproductive, Maternal, Child, Adolescent, and the Elderly health (RMNCAEH); 3) Malaria, HIV and Tuberculosis; 4) Nutrition; 5) Non-Communicable diseases including Neglected Tropical Diseases.
The successful candidate will perform the following functions:
Organizational Leadership & Strategic Planning by regularly assessing and monitoring all programmes and focus areas that are essential to meeting SFH’s strategic plan priorities and goals:
- In coordination with the executive team, play a key role in the overall development, strategic planning, service delivery, and management of the organisation across multiple sites and departments.
- Lead all aspects of SFH programming and provide on-going assessment and monitoring of programming and staffing needs, gaps, and opportunities; and report findings and recommendations regularly to the MD/Executive team; and oversee and lead the implementation of programme process improvements based on recommendations.
- Monitor emerging needs, opportunities, trends, and funding and collaborate with senior leadership team to develop strategic interventions
- Deploy resources efficiently and effectively towards SFH’s strategic plan priorities and goals in programme delivery, working with direct reports to balance workload and efforts; provide and attain regular feedback to/from direct reports and to the Board.
- Serve as one of SFH’s senior liaison to government, in particular FMOH/SMOH and donors’ agencies.
Inspire, Lead, and Manage People in a culture of leadership and accountability:
- In partnership with Executive team, clearly articulate and define rules/methods to promote and support director-level autonomy, decision-making, and dynamic and decisive leadership.
- Directly supervise eight programme/project directors, and senior programme leads fostering the implementation of high-quality impactful programmes for beneficiaries. Provide strategic assistance and guidance on troubleshooting and solving programme and staff performance challenges. Mentor directors, and senior programme staff on quality programme cycle management.
- Strategically deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organisational goals, working with senior programme staff to balance workload and efforts, and provide regular feedback so that key staff can continuously improve their supervision and mentoring skills.
- Create and support a high performing culture in the programme office aligned with SFH core values, while developing a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward vision and goal, by clearly communicating organisational vision, implementing yearly staff development plans, and mentoring. Coordinate with the DMD- STG to identify and create leadership and professional development opportunities for SFH staff.
- Establish annual programmes, departmental and staff goals and objectives and track results against these goals as well as accountability protocols.
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Support fund development efforts through the promotion and execution of SFH’s annual fundraising event, proposal writing and partnering with the DMD STG to steward funding relationships. Coordinate with the DMD -STG on developing new programme ideas and pilot projects, including integrating successful pilots into the programme department.
- Determine staffing plans to achieve programme goals and objectives and participate in hiring decisions for new programme staff.
- Deepen existing and create new performance and outcome measures for programme performance.
Lead a standard of excellence across all SFH programming through programme development, evaluation, quality, fiscal stewardship, and oversight:
- The CPQO must create a system of precise quality controls to ensure the CoP/Programme directors and their teams are engaged in high-quality programme design, implementation, evaluation, and sustainability.
- Develop and deploy a framework that clearly articulates and defines SFH’s programming standard of excellence from conceptualisation (grants, proposals, or pitches) to programme sustainability/exit and ensure all staff are trained and utilise the framework.
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programmes, contracts, and related services, promoting collaborative relationships between and across programme areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
- Respond to government and donors’ requests for proposals and applications in partnership with DMD-STG and other senior staff; coordinate planning and activities necessary for development of model program designs in response to RFPs and RFAs.
- Work closely with the CFO and the finance department to budget and monitor programmatic operations to ensure sound fiscal and system management.
- Ensure the delivery of qualitative and quantitative goals and outcomes of programs and services.
- Coordinate and analyse the appropriate data to inform the programmatic and operational decision-making process. Use the existing DHIS and other platform to increase SFH’s efficiency, transparency, and collaborative efforts among teams.
- Oversee and ensure programmatic team works in close collaboration with their finance team liaison to ensure sound fiscal and system management, including managing surplus and deficit (S&D).
Qualifications / Experience
- Master’s Degree required in Medicine, Public Health, Public Policy, Development, or a related field is strongly desired.
- A minimum of 15 years substantial professional experience in senior, strategic leadership position in a mission-driven environment; including 10+ years of supervisory experience with Director-level staff and their teams.
- Experience working at the senior leadership level with a wide berth of authority to make decisions regarding budget, staff management, and strategic shifts.
Skills and Competencies required:
- A strategic thinker with ability to lead and manage complex work streams using frameworks and systems. A self-manager with strong skills in setting personal goals and following through.
- Validated ability to translate big ideas into workable pieces, to mentor and influence colleagues to implement and deliver high impact result.
- Passion for SFH’s mission and purpose and an ability to communicate this passion to others.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-site structure to include professional development and mentorship.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of programme planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and fundraising.
- Leadership expertise in a range of areas of public health with demonstrated ability to analyse and present complex data for planning and reporting purposes.
- Leadership expertise in documentation and publishing including peer reviewed articles is a critical aspect of this role.
- Leadership Experience working with a wide range of donors, understanding their frameworks and programming priorities, and validated abilities to translate these to implementation guidelines and processes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent SFH externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
- Strong relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrate ability to apply systems thinking and act strategically, with an ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes-driven, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, inclusiveness, and empowerment.
Compensation & Benefits
The compensation package for these positions is very attractive and designed to attract, motivate and retain talented young professionals.
Application Closing Date
8th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applications will be treated in confidence. Interested persons without the minimum requirements need not apply.
- We thank prospective applicants for their interest in working with SFH, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- SFH is an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply.