We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: E T Consultant
Job No: req17533
Term Duration: 1 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries.
- In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
- The Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is one of the major industry groups at IFC, responsible for managing roughly 40% of IFC’s overall business in terms of volume and capital at risk.
- FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, Payments, fintech, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network.
- IFC’s priorities in FIG as an industry group are: (i) grow investment and advisory solutions in all regions it operates in, while achieving strong profitability and development impact (ii) build new and nurture existing client relationships to make IFC the preferred partner for key clients (iii) manage portfolio of assets for strong profitability and impact; (iv) support local companies, while improving transparency and corporate governance; (v) catalyze foreign investment, including mobilizing B loans, parallel loans, and other forms of capital mobilization; (vi) introduce and develop new financial solutions, products and platforms; (vii) build long-term partnerships with strong regional players; (viii) develop client, sector and country-level solutions through upstream and downstream interventions that can be scaled and replicated; and (ix) be a thought leader and innovator of products and client solutions globally.
- IFC views Fintech as a key solution to a growing need of emerging markets to rapidly catch up with the developed world in financial services.
- It expects Fintech players to catalyze transparency, safety, economic and financial inclusion and global economic integration.
- The Fintech Unit, part of the FIG Equity group focuses specifically in early-stage Fintech investments, bringing to bear IFC’s best knowledge, expertise and network in this converged industry.
- For the past 10 years, IFC has built a respectable and diverse Fintech portfolio and invested in more than 60 fintech companies more than $470 million. In addition, FIG is also seeking to invest in late stage or at-scale Fintech entities in order to enhance our impact and footprint.
- IFC is looking for an Extended Term Consultant to work as an Investment Analyst for its FIG Department to work on Fintech and equity related investments on a [two] year, extendible to [three]-year contract. The consultant will work alongside experienced investment staff to help deliver on IFC’s ambitious program and development objectives.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The consultant will assist Senior Investment staff in delivering the FINTECH business program.
- This typically comprises business development, project screening, appraisal and approval, project and portfolio monitoring during build-up and operation phases, knowledge management, as well as other supporting roles as needed.
- The Consultant participates in client engagement, desktop research, memorandum and report writing, project administration using IFC’s IT tools, making and delivering presentations. Travel will be required depending on business needs.
Detailed Tasks Include
Market making and project preparation:
- Assist senior Investment staff in developing new markets and business opportunities
- Help team screen projects at early stages for financial viability, risk and developmental impact
- Analyze operations and different business models in the relevant industry
- Maintain cost and productivity data bases for the FINTECH in emerging markets
- Conduct industry, market and company research
- Participate in all aspects of IFC’s deal approval process including due diligence, appraisal, preparation of fintech Investment Committee materials and approvals
- Assist with review of project information and technical documentation during the due diligence phase – including, amongst others, review of market projections, review of project-related contract documentation, etc.
- Prepare investment-related documents for internal and external audiences
- Assist with proactive monitoring of portfolio companies including progress and operations reports; flag major issues
- Perform analytics on markets, company performance, portfolio data and storage of market and other relevant information
- Help design and maintain proper KPI database for portfolio companies and opportunities
- Work on development and update of lessons learnt database, technical handbooks, and knowledge management materials
- Complete filing and dissemination of relevant project documentation
- The Consultant must demonstrate business sense and responsiveness in interactions with others, being able to form relationships with counterparts and mid-level clients and stakeholders to exchange information needed for transaction or portfolio processing.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Higher in Finance, or similar field and relevant to the FIG equity and fintech, preferably with at least two years relevant sector experience
- Strong technical and analytical skills; good professional judgement
- Strong oral and written communication skills; fluency in English required; proficiency in additional global business languages is a plus, in particular fluency in French.
- Emerging market exposure preferred
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to travel on short notice
- Interest in the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values
Application Closing Date
23rd May, 2022 (11:59pm UTC).