We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Legal Officer (Company Secretary)
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Job Category: Oil & Gas
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Shift: Day
Duration: 4 weeks
Job Status: Sourcing
- To ensure compliance of the provisions of Companies Law and rules made there-under and other statutes and bye-laws of the company.
- To ensure that business of the company is conducted in accordance with its objects as contained in its memorandum of association.
- To ensure that affairs of the company are managed in accordance with its objects contained in the articles of association and the provisions of the Companies Law.
- To prepare the agenda in consultation with the Chairman and the other documents for all the meetings of the board of directors.
- To arrange with and to call and hold meetings of the board and to prepare a correct record of proceedings.
- To attend the broad meetings in order to ensure that the legal requirements are fulfilled, and provide such information as are necessary.
- To prepare, in consultation with the chairman, the agenda and other documents for the general meetings.
- To arrange with the consultation of chairman the annual and extraordinary general meetings of the company and to attend such meetings in order to ensure compliance with the legal requirements and to make correct record thereof.
- To carry out all matters concerned with the allotment of shares, and issuance of share certificates including maintenance of statutory Share Register and conducting the appropriate activities connected with share transfers.
- To prepare, approve, sign and seal agreements leases, legal forms, and other official documents on the company’s behalf, when authorised by the broad of the directors or the executive responsible.
- To advise, in conjunctions with the company’s solicitors, the chief executive or other executive, in respect of the legal matters, as required.
- To engage legal advisors and defend the rights of the company in Courts of Law.
- To have custody of the seal of the company.
- Filling of various documents/returns as required under the provisions of the Companies Law.
- Proper maintenance of books and registers of the company as required under the provisions of the Companies Law.
- To see whether legal requirements of the allotment, issuance and transfer of share certificates, mortgages and charges, have been complied with.
- To convene/arrange the meetings of directors, on their advise.
- To issue notice and agenda of board meetings to every director of the company.
- To carry on correspondence with the directors of the company on various matters.
- To record the minutes of the proceedings of the meetings of the directors.
- To implement the policies formulated by the directors
- To deal with all correspondence between the company and the shareholders.
- To issues notice and agenda of the general meetings to the shareholders.
- To keep the record of the proceedings of all general meetings.
- To make arrangement for the payment of the dividend within prescribed period as provided under the provisions of the Companies Law.
The company secretary usually undertakes the following duties:
- Ensuring that statutory forms are filed promptly.
- Providing members and auditors with notice of meeting.
- Filing of copy of special resolutions on prescribed form within the specified time period.
- Supplying a copy of the accounts to every member of the company, every debenture holder and every person who is entitled to receive notice of general meetings. You must send annual audited accounts.
- Keeping or arranging for the halving of minutes of directors’ meetings and general meetings. Apart from monitoring the Directors and Members minutes books, copies of the minutes of board meetings should also be provided to every director.
- Ensuring that people entitled to do so, can inspect company records. For example, members of the company are entitled to a copy of the company’s register of members, and to inspect the minutes of its general meetings and to have copies of these minutes.
- Custody and use of the common seal. Companies are required to have a common seal and the secretary is usually responsible for its custody and use. (Common seals can be bought from seal makers)
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB)
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in similar role.
- Gender: Does not matter
- Age: 25 Years 55 Years
- Highest Education: Minimum Education University
- Degree title: Bachelorn of Law – LLB
- Experience: Minimum Experience 5 Year
- Other experience: A minimum of 5 years working experience in similar role.
- Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Application Closing Date
1st June, 2022.