Godwin Adama, Nigeria’s consul-general in South Africa, says the recent attack on Nigerian businesses and property was fuelled by false information.
In continuation of a renewed wave of xenophobic attacks, Nigerian nationals and businesses came under attack on Wednesday following the death of a South African Taxi driver in Pretoria.
The taxi driver was alleged to have been killed by a Tanzanian.
Adama, however, said Nigerian businesses were seriously affected in the crisis as the killing was “erroneously” attributed to a Nigerian.
He said the “erroneous” information sparked the protest, which went out of hand and that before the police could curb it, serious damage had been done to Nigerian investments.
According to him, businesses affected by the attack included furniture, electronics shops, warehouses, mechanic and motor spare parts among others.
“Though the crisis also affected other nationals, what made the matter worse is that it happened where there are a lot of Nigerian businesses,” Adama said.
Adama said Nigerian business owners lost millions of dollars in the attack.
He appealed to Nigerians in the country to remain calm, assuring them that the mission was on top of the situation and would address it holistically.
Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari, and his South African counterpart, Cyril Ramaphosa, discussed the issue on the sidelines of the TICAD meet in Tokyo.
Despite repeated assurances by officials from both countries, the attacks on Nigerians have continued unabated.