We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Coordinator for Jigawa & Katsina / Senior Executive Officer (SEO)
Location: Kano (but expected to travel regularly to Abuja, Katsina and any other state locations)
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Programme Roles)
Job Subcategory: Programme / Project Delivery
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 24 months
Type of Post: British High Commission
Grade: Senior Executive Officer (SEO)
Working hours per week: 35 hours
Start Date: 1 August 2022
End Date: 31 July 2024
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
- The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO Nigeria) is responsible for managing the British Government’s contribution to development, diplomacy and defense in Nigeria, with the objective of supporting subnational government and collaborating with development partners at federal and state levels to reduce poverty.
- FCDO Nigeria is looking for a dynamic, experienced and committed Nigerian to lead delivery of results for FCDO in our partner state, Jigawa and one of our transition states, Katsina.
- This is an exciting opportunity to represent the organisation to some of the most senior Nigerian and UK Government stakeholders and drive forward results in Northern Nigeria.
- The post holder will be expected to work across sectors and develop strong relationships with state governments and implementing partners.
- S/he should be resilient, a strong team player, an ability to work with limited supervision and possess excellent networking, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Experience of delivering results and influencing in complex and fragile environments (particularly in Northern Nigeria) would be an asset.
- The post holder will work with the Head of the Sub-National team (SNT) to drive forward strategic dialogue and mutual accountability engagements in Jigawa state.
- In close consultation with the Head of the SNT, the post holder will help build HMG’s understanding of the political and development context of Jigawa and Katsina states, with a view to influence subnational governments in line with FCDO political interests, policy objectives and to drive forward Programme implementation.
- Where necessary the post holder may provide percentage time to support the work of any of the FCDO Blocks, depending on his/her background and area of specialisation and competence.
- The SNT is a critical arm of HMG’s enabling teams, thus the post holder will work collaboratively with other FCDO Enabling teams and FCDO Block leads to tell a coherent FCDO story at the sub-national, and ensure success of HMG’s work in Nigeria as “a force for good”.
More specifically, the Job Holder will be expected to deliver on the following areas:
- Develop effective relationships with Government officials, Politicians and Political Office holders, Development partners, Civil society, Traditional and Religious Institutions and the general public to effectively influence approach(es) to development and diplomacy; as well as representing FCDO at high level policy and programme discussions in Jigawa and Katsina.
- Drive forward FCDO political, policy and programme objectives in Jigawa and Katsina states including on results, programme coordination, political and policy analysis. Liaising with the Sub-National Team Lead and Abuja political team to provide real time political updates.
- Lead the coordination and coherence of FCDO Nigeria’s work at state level. FCDO’s work covers a broad range of political influencing and political economy analysis; development programming agenda including human development, social protection, economic growth, governance and conflict reduction programmes.
- Drive forward Strategic Dialogue and Mutual Accountability Framework engagements with Jigawa State and work collaboratively with government, programme implementing partners and donors to deliver on agreed commitments. Job holder will work with the Sub-National Team Lead and Security team to manage security risks effectively, when bringing colleagues and senior leadership to Jigawa state to participate in the strategic dialogue and mutual accountability engagements.
- Support the design, implementation and monitoring of key programmes within our focal state Jigawa and our transition state, Katsina; and other locations as and when required.
- Support and shape the development and delivery of FCDO and UK government strategy through providing regular state political and development analysis.
- Facilitate improved donor harmonisation and programme coordination in Jigawa state where relevant, working with appropriate state ministries, departments and agencies; and encouraging donors to join and align their delivery with the State strategic dialogue and mutual accountability framework.
- Contribute to FCDO Nigeria Office Management on corporate requirements for correspondence, briefings, parliamentary questions, reporting, preparations for high level visits, communications, programme reviews and core agendas e.g., Value for Money, Results and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL).
- Support the FCDO Nigeria Office Management as necessary in a flexible, co-operative, and collaborative manner, engaging where required on corporate and other matters for the effective and efficient implementation of FCDO Programmes in Jigawa and Katsina States.
Qualification and Experience
The successful candidate is expected to have the following qualifications and behavioural competencies:
- Minimum of Honours Degree from an internationally recognised University
- Proven cultural, social and political sensitivity of working in Northern Nigeria, with various stakeholders, and with a good working knowledge of Hausa.
- Language: English and a good working knowledge of Hausa
- Level of language required: Proficient in English (oral and written).
- The post holder will be based in Kano but expected to travel regularly to Abuja, Katsina and any other state locations (security permitting).
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Relationship building skills, Networking and influencing skills, Experience working with senior government stakeholders and donors.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Programme /Portfolio Management Skills
- Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together.
Application Closing Date
17th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- The current legacy DFID Terms and Conditions of Employment will apply to all internal locally employed staff on promotion and new entrants subject to local employment labour law.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Current employees (CBS) transferring between departments need to obtain a new police clearance/certificate of good conduct to be successful appointed to the position.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.